Sports €45m Otamendi Declares He Joined City To Win Titles

CM1yMykWUAAe97M.jpg

Manchester City new arrival, Nicolas Otamendi has said that he's come to the Ethiad stadium to help the Manuel pellegrini win titles.

The Argentine international joined City from Spanish side, Valencia on a five-year deal.

The Manchester United target joined their city rivals at the Ethiad stadium in a deal worth €45 million (£31.7m) having successfully completed a medical and penned personal terms.

The 27-year-old excelled in La Liga last season and will now compete with former Porto partner Eliaquim Mangala for a starting role alongside skipper Vincent Kompany.

Otamendi is already targeting silverware with City, who have made a storming start to the new Premier League season, while manager Manuel Pellegrini has backed him to be a huge success.

"I am here to give my best, to fight game by game and push City to the highest peaks for as long as possible, and I wish we will be able to win several cups and titles," Otamendi told the club's official website.

"That's the most important [thing]. To be here inside a club that looks so wonderful from the outside is a dream."

Pellegrini added: "Nicolas Otamendi was arguably the best defender in La Liga last season and so naturally I’m delighted to have added a player of his quality.

"He is an established international for one of the best nations in world football and I have no doubt that he has the right mentality to fit into a squad where he will find many familiar faces, including Eliaquim and Fernando who he played alongside in Portugal.

"As a footballer, Nicolas has all of the qualities to be a success in the Premier League – he's strong, he's excellent in the tackle and he's very good technically.

"I am sure he will become another Argentine player our fans will enjoy watching."

Otamendi becomes the sixth Argentine in City's squad, joining the likes of Sergio Aguero and Pablo Zabaleta, and will be hoping to continue the form that saw him help Valencia to a fourth place finish and Champions League qualification last season. Goal

Back