Metro Abuja Bombing Suspect : How My Imam Helped Boko Haram Recruit Me

A

abujagirl

Abdulwaheed Nasiru a.k.a Haulaki, one of the men accused of involvement in the October 2 multiple blasts in Nyanya and Kuje, has opened up on how he was recruited by boko haram terrorists.

Haulaki-702x336.jpg
Haulaki
Photo Credit: The Sun

He was among the five suspects paraded Thursday at the Police Special Anti-Robbery Squad Headquarters in Abuja, where several bomb-making materials recovered from them were also displayed. Others are Abdulazeez Muhazab, Ishaka Salihu, Mohammed Jimoh and Abdullahi Nasiru; THE SUN reports.

Speaking on his recruitment, Haulaki said, ''I am an Igbira man and my people are mainly Muslims. I was able to attend primary school which I did not complete because my parents were farmers and they said education was a waste of time. I came to Abuja seven years ago to learn auto mechanic at Games Village and I graduated four years after before establishing my own workshop at Galadima roundabout, Abuja. I got married and my wife is currently pregnant.

''In 2013 I was convinced to join Boko Haram at the mosque along the road before Total Filling Station, in Aiyoke area of Okene, Kogi State. Though I rented an apartment very close to the mosque, it was one of the sons of the landlord of that house, who is my friend, Abubakar that convinced me to start attending the mosque before he was killed during one of their clashes with soldiers. He personally introduced me to Mustapha, the Imam and owner of the mosque.

''Mustapha was the one who indoctrinated me into the Boko Haram sect. He urged me through his teachings which were mainly on Fridays after the Jumat prayers, Saturdays and Sundays to be faithful to God and do His wishes and I should also oppose those going against the teachings of Prophet Muhammed.

''Mustapha usually urged us to support cause of Jihad in any part of the country in any way we can and when we cannot donate ourselves or money to the cause, we should at least pray for those waging the war. In some of his teachings, he told us that western education was a sin and working for the government was also a sin. He then asked those who have gone through secondary and university education to destroy their certificates. A lot of people, who graduated from the secondary and university in that mosque, destroyed their certificates. That singular act fully convinced me that if these my brothers who attended university can destroy their certificates because of Boko Harm, I should not hesitate,” he said.

Back