After Failing WAEC, What Next?

Vunderkind

Social Member
The WASSCE result were recently released, and the failure percentage - 71% - left many despondent. It is no longer as shocking as before - Nigeria's system of education has been suffering a free-fall for a while now - so I'll spare the contrived outrage.

I am writing today for the ones who didn't make it - the ones who, for reasons that are now unimportant, failed to make the 29% who are now eligible for tertiary education. There's no use crying over spilled milk, and that's why you need to ask yourself: what next?

It isn't the end of the world. One major pain WAEC candidates face after failing is criticism from their parents and guardians, and 'criticism' is putting it rather mildly. While as a kid myself, I saw my friends get brutally punished and psychologically traumatized by their caregivers. This ultimately leads to a feeling of poor self-worth which, if uncurbed,will lead to self-doubt which, ironically, will cause the student to perform even poorer in the next examinations.

So how do you break free from this vicious cycle?

For one, you need to understand that you are not a failure, neither are you 'dull' or 'stupid.' These things happen, and in Nigeria where our problems are even further magnified by bad management, things can really take a downturn.

I am here to offer advice, and I give it now:

First of all, you need to switch schools. This is especially true if a large percentage of your classmates failed. It might be a bit of work to convince your parents/guardians that you need a new educational environment after the disappointing results - but, quite paradoxically, the results are your best argument for withdrawing from the obviously substandard school.

The next step is bifurcated: you can go to a better, proven-to-be-credible school, or you can stay home and start taking tutorials. Both options have their merits, but I would explain why the tutorials work as well. I believe that, being in SS3, you have imbibed the basic requirements for the senior class, and lesson teachers are more willing to make their students learn more - as their reputation is strongly linked to their average success rate with their students. This means you will be receiving quick - and thorough - lessons in the evenings, steadily preparing you for the next WAEC (or, alternatively, GCE) as you go.

If - as I have subtly recommended - you opt for the evening classes, you have free time to learn a trade. Yes, you are now in the big league. This passes a message across to your parents and guardians that you not washed out. Let them know you are even more focused and determined. Depending on what you want - and the financial wherewithal - you can decided to learn computer usage/repairs, barbing, hair dressing, makeup artistry...etc. It is up to you, really. The world is your oyster.

Whatever you do, do not be idle. Do not mope around. Do not let depression overpower you. Keep busy, think positive thoughts, do not let anyone weigh you down, and the year will swing by so fast and it would be time to try for the exams again.

And this time, you will be so prepared, WAEC will have no choice but to give you those awesome grades.

I wish you success in advance.

students-writing-examination-360x270.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back