Sports Age-cheat? Emem Eduok claims he is 20 years old, not 23

Emem Eduok is adamant that he is 20 years old despite claims that he could be older than that.

The Dolphins striker has been at the centre of an age controversy, with the player playing down reports that he falsified his age.

Organisers of the Nigeria Professional Football League(NPFL) the League Management Company(LMC) registered the homebased Eagles player as being 23 on their databases.

He was sent back by the handlers of the national 23 team, following the discrepancy over his age as he was deemed to be overaged.

“I’m 20 and not 23. I was born in 1994, so I don’t know where the club got their information from. I played at the U-20 World Cup last year, with the age on my passport. That is my age and that is what FIFA knows," Eduok insisted.

“The Dolphins Secretary submitted a wrong date of birth to the LMC when I was registered for the League. I was not born in 1991 and that’s the date the Under-23 coaches picked.

“They are capitalizing on that discrepancy. They said I’m above the age limit, it doesn’t bother me.”

“It is a thing of joy to be invited to camp. I don’t know what they want to do now,” added Eduok.

“I copped an injury during the final of the Federation Cup and I explained to the coach (Samson Siasia) and he wished me well.”

“Nigeria is my country and I can’t reject an invitation. If this is settled, I will return to the team.”

However, Media of the U-23 national team Timi Ebikagboro, said Eduok was asked to go an rectify the problem.

“Siasia hasn’t said he wants Eduok or doesn’t want him. He came with a passport showing he is 20 but his records in the LMC shows he is 23.

“If you watch the Federation Cup final on Supersport, his age was shown as 23. The license his club sent to the NFF is 23. So, it’s left for him and his club to sort out the issue. It’s assumed that the player signed the LMC document, which stated that the player agreed to all the information in the document.”

Eduok came to the limelight last season, finishing as the second highest goalscorer behind Mfon Udoh with 20 goals.

emem-eduok.jpg

Why do we just love to wash our dirty linens outside when others are simply waiting to see how dirty those linens are..... If he is 20 or 23, don't we have a responsibility to protect our own? or are we saying that other teams don't field over age players in their team yet no one knows..... Lots and lots of things needs to be done, not just to the Nigerian football but also to its reportage.........

Why do we just love to wash our dirty linens outside when others are simply waiting to see how dirty those linens are..... If he is 20 or 23, don't we have a responsibility to protect our own? or are we saying that other teams don't field over age players in their team yet no one knows..... Lots and lots of things needs to be done, not just to the Nigerian football but also to its reportage.........
Define what you mean by protection, you mean conceal a story?

We shout about these things too much that they tend to ruin the careers of the players involved, and then we forget about the psychological effects of the reports when they come.
I'm not saying concealing the stories will be the ideal thing to do, but are we saying Nigeria is the only country that defaults?

Back