Sports Akwa Ibom International stadium gets CAF pass mark

The Confederations of African Football, CAF has described the newly built Akwa Ibom International Stadium as one of the best stadia in Africa, matching it with the likes of the Soccercity which hosted to the final of the 2010 Fifa World Cup in Johannesburg .

The 30,000 seater facility was recently completed by the Akwa Ibom state government as one of its achievement during its administration.

The vice president of Ghana Football Association, who also represented CAF in the inspection process, Fred Crentsil, said that the Akwa Ibom International Stadium is "a wonderful facility."

Crentsil said he is impressed that the stadium has "are provisions for the physically –challenged persons."

“You guys have a wonderful facility here. It is one of the best I have seen anywhere around Africa and elsewhere. It is of the same standard and mould as Soccercity (the main stadium in Johannesburg that played host to the final match of the 2010 Fifa World Cup) with a lower capacity.

“I am particularly amazed that there are provisions for the physically –challenged persons. Everything is taken care of here. I am hugely impressed,” Crentsil, who was accompanied by the NFF assistant director of competitions, Bola Oyeyode, said in Uyo on Thursday. supersport

Crentsil's remarks on the new stadium in Uyo is already giving the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) the confidence that the facility will play hosts to the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations against South Africa on November 19.

"It is now official. The 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying cracker between the Super Eagles and the Bafana Bafana of South Africa will take place at the Akwa Ibom International Stadium, Uyo," stated the NFF in a statement on Thursday.

The Akwa Ibom International Stadium is expected to officially be opened on November 7 when the African champions, the Super Eagles face the Black Stars of Ghana.

Back