Sports Athletics: Bolt aiming to break existing world records

Bolt.jpg
World Athletics record holder Usain Bolt has set his sights on even shattering the existing records that he has already set in his past events.

The Jamaican athlete has the enviable record of 9.58secs set in the 100m event at the 2009 World Athletics Championship in Germany,and he is now looking to beat that achievement.

According to a report by CMC,Bolt also wants to beat the record he has in the 200m event,which stands at 19.19 secs.

“I have discussed with my coach what it will take to lower these records, and he thinks it’s very possible,” Bolt said.

“I trust my coach completely, so if coach Mills says they can be broken, then I know I can lower them.”

The six-time Olympic gold medallist is said to have had a sore on his foot,but he played down the injury saying that it is nothing serious.

“(The injury) is nothing serious … my experience has taught me that that’s just the nature of the sport,” Bolt told The Gleaner on Tuesday.

“Setbacks are a part of track and field. I have come to accept that a long time ago. I had mine, and (I’m) now back in training preparing for the upcoming season.”

He is already looking forward to next month’s IAAF World Indoor Relays in The Bahamas.

"[The IAAF World Relays] should be a lot of fun. Relays are always the best part of any championship for me,” Bolt said.

“Jamaica has a lot of talented athletes, so I have no doubt that we can lower the (4x200m) record,” he added, without confirming whether he will actually be able to compete at the May 24 and 25 championships.

“I trust my coach completely, so if coach Mills says they can be broken, then I know I can lower them.”

Back