Sports Athletics: The appointment of Maurice Greene is a joke - Enefiok Udo-Obong

Greene.jpg
Former Nigeria athlete Eniefok Udo-Obong has once again criticised the appointment of American Maurice Green as a coach for the Athletics Federation of Nigeria(AFN)

Udobong a gold medallist for Nigeria at the Sydney 2000 Olympics,said that Greene has nothing new to offer the Athletics Federation.

"Hiring) Maurice Greene is a joke. I have said it before and I will continue to say it. He brings nothing new to our team in terms of technical improvements. He is just a waste of money. If he was brought as motivation and for his past as a champion, maybe that is ok, but as a coach, I beg to differ. We have many experienced coaches at home who have trained champions; give them half of what you are giving Greene and see them perform," Udobong told The Punch.

Udobong however,disputed claims that he is against the poaching of the foreign-born Nigerians to represent the country.

"Let me correct you there and make my point VERY CLEAR. I am NOT against getting Nigerian-born athletes from the UK and USA. They are Nigerians and have every right to compete for Nigeria, especially when they have multiple citizenship. I am against BUYING athletes with NO roots to Nigeria. Bringing them to compete and denying our citizens the right to compete for a country they love so much.
"These mercenaries are NOT Nigerians. We brought about six of them last time and we want them to compete in the Commonwealth Games for us. It insults us, abuses our constitution and makes mockery of our sovereignty. To make matters worse, they are not young American with the prospects of improving and representing us well in the future. They are past their prime, and are coming here because they are not good enough for America. To add insult to injury, some are confirmed drug cheats having been banned by the IAAF for doping. What does this say about out fight against doping or what message are we telling the young honest kid on the street?"

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Back