Sports Benitez to exit Napoli at the end of the season

Real Madrid target, Rafa Benitez has admitted that he won't be at Napoli next season in order to pave way for his move to the Bernabau.

The former Liverpool and Chelsea manager has one more game for the Serie A side before departing the club and will be hoping to beat Lazio to give his side Champions League play offs.

Napoli released a statement on Wednesday stipulating that Benitez would not answer questions regarding other clubs, meaning he could not confirm whether or not he would succeed Carlo Ancelotti at the Santiago Bernabeu next season.

"My time in Naples has ended," Benitez said on Thursday in a press conference.

"I had a two-year contract with Napoli which ends after the match against Lazio. Then we will start talking about my future from Monday.

"I would like to thank the president, the club and all the fans. On Sunday, we face a very important match and I want to finish my two years here with a victory.

"It's always sad to leave a job where the people have treated you well from the start and Napoli was like this to me."

The 55-year-old Madrid-born coach was appointed to the Serie A club in 2013, leading them to the Coppa Italia and a third-placed finish in his first season in charge.

Benitez spent most of his playing career with Real Madrid's B team before going on to coach at every level of the club, excluding the first team. Goal
Rafa.jpg

Back