Metro Boko Haram: Displaced Persons Invade Lagos - Vanguard

Vunderkind

Social Member
This Vanguard expository shows how people who have been displaced from North-East by the incessant violence and killings are trooping into Lagos state, looking for a better life.

Read below:

Like any other commercial motorcycle operator, Awalu Bernard who hails from the Northern part of the country, claimed to have an in depth knowledge of Festac Town and its environs where he operates. It was with this confidence that he agreed to take Vanguard Features, VF to Jinifa Plaza located on 23 Road.

A ride that was not supposed to last 10 minutes, unfortunately took about 20 minutes. Shortly after take off, he opted to take a route that will lengthen the journey, despite being told that it was not the correct road.

Awalu’s insistence on taking the road resulted to an altercation between him and VF since it was obvious that he had little or no understanding of where he was going to.

‘’Why did you claim that you know the road, when it is obvious that you know nothing?’’ VF asked him in Hausa language.

‘’OgaI! Walahi I am a new comer. If I told you I did not know the place, you would not have patronised me. It is only through this method that we get to know the environment,’’ he stated.

Dislocated by insurgency

Asked how long he had been in the business, Awalu, who did not hide his excitement over VF’s ability to speak Hausa, said: “Oga! I have spent nine weeks so far. I started this job immediately I arrived Lagos. I knew how to ride motorcycle before coming to Lagos.’’

This surprising disclosure led to question on whether he had lived in Lagos before. His response was: ‘’This is my first visit to Lagos. I was a successful farmer before I found myself here. I am not the only one from my place, Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State who came to Lagos at the same time. We were many. The killings in our communities by Boko Haram members made most of us to run for our lives.’’

Click here to read more

Source: #Vanguard

OKADA1.jpg

Back