Sports Brown Ideye will succeed at West Brom - Victor Anichebe

Victor Anichebe.jpg
Victor Anichebe has backed his Nigerian teammate Brown Ideye to be a success at West Brom following his arrival at the club last week.

West Brom on Friday completed the signing of Ideye for a club record fee of £10million from Dynamo Kiev.

Anichebe believes that Ideye will be a success at the club but urged the fans to be patient with him.

“I know Brown through playing for Nigeria and we’ve kept in touch ever since,”Anichebe told Birmingham Mail.

“We’ve kept tabs on how we’ve been doing in our respective leagues. He’s done well in Ukraine after moving there for a lot of money.

“He’s also come here for a big fee and I’m sure he will do well.

“But I don’t think the fans should expect too much, too soon from him.

“They should forget about the price tag. The club pays what they want to pay for players. That’s not down to the player.

“I know Brown is a really good player but the fans need to give him time to adapt, just as it’s taken me time to adapt.

Anichebe who himself was a club record fee from Everton is optimistic that West Brom will have a good season.

“This season will be better for me as well. I showed glimpses last season of what the fans can expect and hopefully this year I can show it on a more consistent basis.

“But the fans shouldn’t put too much pressure on Brown. That’s what I messaged him when he signed. I said ‘you’re a club record signing and you’ve taken the No.9 shirt, no pressure’!

“Joking aside, it will be difficult for him just to come in and set the world on fire and the sooner he’s with us as a group the better.

“The manager can then incorporate him in the things we do, and get him up to tempo with the speed of the Premier League, which is really important.

“But the great thing about Brown, from speaking to him and reading about how he’s feeling, is that he’s got that drive and passion to succeed at Albion.

“He really, really wants to do well. No matter what club you join, that’s what the fans want to see. They always want to see hard work and dedication and you will get that from him.

“Brown wants to improve. Like he said, moving to the Premier League is a dream come true. West Brom have given him that opportunity and I don’t think he’s going to let anyone down.”

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Back