Metro Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, Cardinal Onaiyekan Attacked by Suspected Fulani Herdsmen

A

abujagirl

Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, Cardinal John Onaiyekan was recently attacked by suspected Fulani herdsmen.

Cardinal John Onaiyekan.jpg

Speaking after the attack PUNCH reports that Cardinal Onaiyekan's driver said, “We left Benin for Uromi and at about 5.00pm on the fateful day – I think very close to Ehor – I saw a big pothole and decided to slow down the vehicle. I would have passed the spot with speed but because the cardinal was sleeping, I decided to slow down the vehicle so that he would not wake up.

“Suddenly, I saw three men came out of the palm tree plantation by the road side and started shooting at the vehicle. Drivers of other vehicles who saw me coming with reverse started clearing off the road and when I got to a safe distance, I decided to stop the vehicle and people started running to see what had happened.

“It was then we realised that the bullets shattered the left passenger window glass and made huge holes on the panel of the door. We just thank God nothing happened to the cardinal or any of us in the vehicle.”

Meanwhile, Catholic Archbishop of Benin, Most Rev. Augustine Akubueze and the Bishop of Uromi Catholic Diocese, Dr. Donatus Ogun, have appealed to the Federal Government to tackle the growing attacks by criminals in Edo State.

Back