Sports Determined Super Falcons will progress from the group stage- Uche Eucheria

Former Super Falcons coach, Uche Eucharia has said that she believes the nation's senior national team will go beyond the group stage of the 2015 FIFA women's world cup in Canada.

The Nigerian contingent departed the country for Canada hoping to play an unsure friendly game with the host before the tournament kicks off as part of their preparations for the tournament.
Uche Eucheria.jpg

The Edwin Okon led team, who are the reigning African champions are in Group D against two-time world champions, the United States of America, 2007 runners-up Sweden and Australia in what has been tagged the ‘Group of Death’, but the ex-international thinks they can progress for the first time since 1999 banking on their wealth of experience.

“I can assure you that the Super Falcons will qualify from that group because we have come of age and there is no team in this world that is unbeatable,” Eucharia told Goal.

“The Super Falcons have an array of experienced players and almost all of them have featured in one Fifa tournament or the other.

“I think we have experience, exposure on our side and players who are determined to make a namea for themselves. No doubt we will surely move to the next round of the tournament.”

The American ladies defeated Mexico 5-1 in one of their build up games for the competition but Eucharia feels coach Edwin Okon's team will bring down Jillian Ellis’s side when they meet on June 16 at the BC Place, Vancouver.

“Mexico is not a team to rate the US with, and as I have always said, every country in this world fears Nigeria because we boast of rugged players who can turn the table at any time,” she continued.

“I can bet you the [United States of America] are scared of us.

“I would advise them to remain focused as well as listen to advice and criticisms. The technical crew should take the relevant ones and shut their ears to the ones that are not important,” she concluded.

The Super Falcons began their training tour in Toronto on Thursday to perfect strategies towards a great outing at the World Cup as they chase their first ticket to the knockout stages since 1999.

Back