Sports Diego Simeone takes blame for Atletico's defeat to Barcelona

Atletico Madrid coach, Diego Simeone has shouldered the blame for his side's defeat to Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey competition.

Barcelona secured a 3-2 victory over nine-man Atletico in an ill-tempered game between the teams at the Vincent de Calderón.

"We've had a very respectable cup run. Knocking out Hospitalet and Real Madrid was significant because it gave us the chance to face Barça. We competed well against them. In the second half the team played without taking any risks at the back or looking to score goals, which was my decision. I'm the coach and I decide what is most appropriate for the club's future. We did what suited us best. For me, the match was over in the first half".

"I'm proud of my players. The first half was extraordinary. We played with great enthusiasm and intensity. It was tough because the pitch wasn't great".

"I've been told Gabi said to the referee that it was a penalty and a sending off. He should have understood that he had to give him a second yellow."

"Barcelona have a much more intense style of play now. The arrival of Luis Suárez has made their squad stronger and the new goalkeepers have given them more confidence. That has made the team grow".

Diego_Simeone_-_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back