Sports Djokovic defeats Nadal to win Sony Open title

rsz_djokovic.jpg
Novak Djokovic completely outclassed world number one Rafael Nadal on Sunday to win the Sony Open title in Miami.

The Serbian player beat Nadal in straight sets 6-3 6-3 to retain the title and made it four triumphs in Miami.

Djokovic broke once to take the first set and twice to clinch the second deciding set which ensured victory over Nadal,whom he was better than in all departments of the game yesterday.

The 26-year old Serb has now overtaken Pete Sampras and is two titles behind Andre Agassi in the event's all-time list.

The ATP world tours will now shift attention to Europe for the commencement of the clay-court season,Nadal's forte.

"This tournament has been perfect from the beginning to the end," Djokovic said.
"The matches that I have played I played really well, and I elevated my game as the tournament progressed. The best performance of the tournament came in the right moment on Sunday, against the biggest rival."

Nadal on his part said that he has no frustration falling short once again to Djokovic: "No frustration. That's tennis. I played a few games and a few points with right way, with right intensity. But for the rest, easy to analyse. The opponent was better than me. That's it."

Back