Sports English Premier League: Fixtures, Managers' comments and the Manchester derby

Only nine games apiece have been played so far in the English Premier League, already there are early pacesetters, and some teams stuttering to mount a serious challenge.

Chelsea are the favourites to win the title this season, and their position on the table lends credence to it.

More so, they are the only team yet to lose a game in the league this season.

And with this weekend's actions being the tenth week, Chelsea could further stretch their lead on the table with a victory over visiting Queens Park Rangers(QPR).

However the number of matches played so far in the league, suggests that it is still early days, and also that it is not done and dusted for Jose Mourinho's team.

With Chelsea already six points ahead of the defending champions , Manchester City, they could even be nine points clear of them after their game against QPR.

The Manchester derby comes up tomorrow at the Etihad Stadium, and it is a game both teams needs to win in order to resurrect their fortunes for the season.

City seems to be suffering from a confidence crisis at the moment, having not won any game in their last three games in all competition.

United will be coming to town for the 268th game between the pair, but revenge will definitely be on their mind, not having done well in this fixture in recent years.

But above all, pride is at stake for the two Manchester teams, not just the points that could move them closer to Chelsea, but because a loss to either of the team will been seen as a sucker punch to their title chances.

So below, we assembled the comments of the top managers, and how they are prepping their teams for the weekend's games.

Arsenal:
Despite bookmakers dismissing Arsenal's title chances, Arsene Wenger still has hopes of winning the Premier League title.

"I do not write ourselves off. That figure does not consider who we have played or how many games we have played away.

"I have a strong belief we will come back and we can just prove that on the pitch, " Wenger said.

With Arsenal playing Burnley today, Wenger is refusing to underrate the bottom three club.

"They are better than their points total would suggest," said Wenger. "They have been punished in some games because they could not take their chances. It's very important we are still focused and expect to play against a strong team, because that's what they are.

Asked whether Theo Walcott is ready to make an appearance for the Gunners: "He is not completely ready," Wenger said. "He's been out for too long to start. He wants to play, but that's a period where the patience is tested.

Chelsea:
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is delighted to have his top scorer, Diego Costa back from an injury.

"It is good for us," Mourinho said. "It's difficult when you only have one striker available, but when you have two the situation improves."

"He played for the national team and we lost him for four matches. Crystal Palace, Maribor, Shrewsbury and Manchester United, four matches in three different competitions.

"Now he is again available but he needs to be under special care.

"I'm always supportive of players playing for their countries when they are in the condition to do so. But I'm nobody to stand in the way of the national team, I can't stop him going away with his country."

Speaking about the impact of Didier Drogba this past week, he further added:"Me, the owner, the board, him - we all decided together for him to come back - we believed in him and he believed in himself and that he could still be important," says Mourinho.

"He has been fantastic for us in the last week when we were in real trouble, without Diego (Costa) and without Remy. He had to do what no one should do - play 90 minutes of football with 48 hours difference and he managed to do that in a fabulous way."

The Portuguese also claimed that he does not know what to expect from QPR at lunchtime on Saturday.

"I think I know what to expect from QPR, and I can say it will be a difficult game for us.

"It's the first time I play against QPR. London is a special place because of the number of derbies, which makes it unique."

Manchester City:
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini is under pressure , and it does not come better with the visit of Manchester United on Sunday.

But Pellegrini believes that the tie is just another fixture between the two teams.

"On Sunday it will be City vs United and last year was the same. It was not me vs Moyes and this time it's not me vs Van Gaal," Pellegrini said.

"For supporters it's a special game and we know that. We know what it means to win against Manchester United."

Pellegrini will be without Spain midfielder David Silva who is out for up to four weeks with a knee injury.

"David is a very important player but we have a squad and we will have to replace him with another player," says Pellegrini.

"Yaya Toure has a small problem. We'll see tomorrow but I think he will have no problems to play."

Manchester United:
Obviously the dominant topic during coach Louis Van Gaal's press conference was the derby, and he did acknowledge that this was the biggest that he would be managing.

"This is the biggest derby that I shall manage."

"It's one of 38 matches, but for the fans it is unbelievably big as a rivalry. I have felt that with some of the players."

"When Ryan Giggs presented me with the analysis [of City], I felt more tension with him. That was good to see."

"He has transferred the idea of emotion and I have transferred the idea of how we have to play."

"Our goal is to win this game. It's possible, we're growing and developing. We have a good feeling about this match."

Wayne Rooney will be available for the game, and Van Gaal did confirm that he will be starting against City

"He was never injured," Van Gaal said on Rooney. "He shall play, he is my captain."

"He has scored a lot of goals against City, the most of any player. I am very happy that he can play, and he shall."

Fixtures
Newcastle vs Liverpool
Arsenal vs Burnley
Chelsea vs QPR
Everton vs Swansea
Hull City Tigers vs Southampton
Leicester vs West Brom
Stoke City vs West Ham

Sunday's fixtures:
Manchester City vs Manchester United
Aston Villa vs Tottenham

Pellegrini.jpg