Sports English Premier League: Weekend's fixtures and all the comments from the top managers

The two Manchester clubs can close the gap between them and Chelsea in the English Premier League before Monday.

While they will both be in action this weekend, Chelsea will be taking to the pitch on Monday when they travel to the Britannia Stadium to face Stoke City.

So if Manchester City win their game "as expected" against Crystal Palace, they will now draw level with Chelsea at the top of the table, but the Blues would still lead by virtue of a superior goals difference.

On United's part, a victory at Villa Park over Aston Villa will see them five points behind Chelsea.

Now, it is not as if Chelsea has been written off to lose against Stoke City, rather the whole spectrum is becoming glaring that the title race is not in any way a one-horse race as was initially envisaged.

The three aforementioned teams are in with a shout for the title this season, as all pointers seems to be three-pronged.

However, the big game of the weekend lies somewhere else at Merseyside between Liverpool and Arsenal.

The two teams are a bit of the pace for the title, as it looks like only a miracle could see either of them win it.

This game at Anfield looks every inch like a battle of who would inch a top four spot at the end of the season.

Coming at the back of a loss to Manchester United last weekend, Liverpool would he hoping to win this fixture to give themselves a lift to kick-start what has looked like a turbulent season for them.

While Arsenal will be looking at building on last weekend's impressive win against Newcastle.

Last season, Liverpool ran over Arsenal with a comprehensive 5-1 victory, but that was because they had enterprising players like Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge in the starting line-up.

Both players: one sold, the other injured won't be around this time around, so you have a feeling that there might not be a repeat of such this term.

However, this game will be mainly about identity for either side, whoever wins will surely have a confidence boost in what has been a mixed season for both teams.

Below, we have drafted the press conferences of the top managers and what they have to say about their games.

Manchester United
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal revealed that he has had a word with the club's former coach Sir Alex Ferguson about their performances so far.

"I have spoken with Sir Alex Ferguson," Van Gaal said. "He says there is not a problem. We have won. But for me it is also about the performance. If we perform well shall win more matches. That is what I want."

And Van Gaal did admit that the team's spirit has been lifted by their run of good form.

"I have to admit the atmosphere in the group is fantastic and we've got a lot of confidence now." he said.

Speaking about Radamel Falcao's future: "He hasn't played so much" the Dutchman said.

"You cannot see too much of a player if he doesn't train so much. He has been injured a lot of time. First you have to be fit.

"Now he shows fitness in the training sessions so maybe I shall select him (for Saturday's game at Aston Villa), maybe for the bench or the line-up. Let's wait and see."

Arsenal:
Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Nacho Monreal will be assessed on Saturday before given the all clear for their clash against Liverpool.

With Arsenal squaring up against Liverpool this weekend, Arsene Wenger has praised Raheem Sterling whom he said is a great player.

"I rate Sterling very highly. I think he's one of the great players in England."

On the Liverpool fans Wenger said that he has huge respect for them.

"I have a huge respect for Liverpool fans. I remember winning 5-1 up there and the fans were chanting 'you'll never walk alone."

And the Frenchman showed some sympathy for his rival, Brendan Rodgers who is going through a rough patch at the moment.

"Part of our job is to survive a crisis if you want to be a manager for the long-term."

In a week that former Arsenal legend Thierry Henry retired from football, Wenger lauded his contributions during his time with the Gunners.

"He's had a massive career and I would like to take this opportunity to thank him for what he's done for the club," Wenger said of Henry.

"He was a combination of physical talent and intelligence. He was one of the greatest players I've ever seen."

Liverpool:
Manager Brendan Rodgers had a very short press conference that did not last for up to five minutes.

However he did confirm that there is: "no change in goalkeeper", with Simon Mignolet still dropped as Brad Jones is set to retain his place in goal against Arsenal.

On the future of Raheem Sterling which seems to be in doubt as he is yet to sign a new deal, Rodgers revealed that his agent is the one stalling the deal.

"His contract situation is nothing to do with him. His representatives are the ones working with the club. He is, as you can see, happy and enjoying his football," he told Sky Sports.

"At Old Trafford he was unfortunate not to score and in that role he plays, you think of Alexis Sanchez when he plays for Arsenal,” Rodgers added.

Chelsea:
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho admitted that they have to be on their guard to avoid any possible slip-up against Stoke City whom they lost to last season.

"Sometimes you play well and lose - other times you don't play so well and win. Last season we played well against Stoke but made two mistakes that cost us the game" Mourinho said.

"We might be getting results but we have to go there and play our game. We know their qualities and will have to adapt to it."

"If you know you will play against Peter Crouch and their defenders and if you don't adapt you are in trouble. They are a good and a difficult side."

On their Christmas schedules which will see them play lots of games within a short time, the Portuguese added: "It is four matches in a short space of time but everyone is in the same situation. Some have easier fixtures but that is the draw and you can do nothing.

"We have three away games against Stoke, Southampton and Spurs and a London derby but we are ready.

On where the title will end up, he said: "There is still a long time to go - not even 50% of league is played. People with less than 10 points difference are in the title race."

Manchester City:
Manchester City's coach Manuel Pellegrini spent time answering questions on Frank Lampard's future, as he is due to return to his new club New York FC .

"We'll see. It is not just our decision. Of course I want him to stay but I can not say 100% at this moment" Pellegrini said of the Lampard situation.

The Chilean also responded to questions about their injury list, confirming that four of their first team players will be out against Crystal Palace.

"We are without Jovetic, Dzeko, Aguero. We must change the way we play, a different system. Vincent Kompany is recovering from his injury but he is not fit for tomorrow."

Fixtures:
Saturday 20 December 20, 2014
Manchester City vs Crystal Palace 1:45pm
Aston Villa vs Manchester United 4:00pm
Hull City vs Swansea 4:00pm
Queens Park Rangers vs West Brom 4:00pm
Southampton vs Everton 4:00pm
Tottenham vs Burnley 4:00pm
West Ham vs Leicester 4:00pm

Sunday 21 December 2014
Newcastle vs Sunderland 2:30pm
Liverpool vs Arsenal 4:00pm