Sports EPL: Today's fixtures, manager's comments and preview of Arsenal vs Manchester United

The English Premier League is back this weekend after a brief hiatus on the international scene.

Most people dread the enforced break when players have to travel to join their national teams, it is like a 'kill-joy' of some sort and the two weeks sometimes looks like eternity.

But thank goodness the weekend 'fetish' is back and people will now return back to seeing their favourite teams.

At least there will not be another international break until next year, so the weekends won't be interrupted till the first quarter of 2015.

Managers will be welcoming back players from long trips, and it will be coming with its own hazards.

Some of the coaches will be grappling with injuries and fatigues from players, especially those coming back from the South American and African continents.

It could disrupt their rhythm and plans, but this is where the depth of a squad really comes to the fore, with capable replacements being drafted in.

Clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City have strength in depth and might not really feel the ripples of an international break, unlike Arsenal or Manchester United, with the latter badly hit this past international break with injuries.

But injuries are part of the game, it is just the ability of the clubs to find a suitable replacement that would determine how well they can manage the crisis.

This weekend will see the week 13 action come to live in the EPL and it looks as though each club now know the probable positions they should be aiming for.

It is not yet half way in the league but Chelsea are already the clear favourites to win the title this season.

They appear consistent and the most efficient team to win the title this year, especially with an aplomb with which they execute some of their matches.

They welcome West Brom at Stamford Brigde looking to continue on their winning streak.

But the match of the day will be the showdown at the Emirates stadium between Arsenal and Manchester United.

Surprisingly both teams are not in the top four(at least for the moment) but the game by all means will be a fight to be there(top four) at the end of the season.

This game will be the 219th meeting between the two teams and United has the upper hand between them.

The head to head record stands at; Man United: 92(wins) Draw: 48, while Arsenal: 78 (wins)

Both teams have been hit by injuries, but United appeared the most hit as they have many first team players out with injuries.

In fact, coach Louis Van Gaal will yet again field a different pair of central defenders in this game, and he will have to find another player to replace Daley Blind who added to United's injury woes getting injured on national duty with Holland.

Two players who will be the cynosure of all eyes are Robin Van Persie and Danny Welbeck, facing their former employers.

Much have been said about how they owe their former paymasters, something like a payback.

But it seems as though Welbeck has more point to prove considering the circumstances with which he left Manchester United.

It sure will be a good game at the Emirates as much hinges on the outcome of this match.

For some reason this match will be much about pride, the two teams might not be where they want to be at the moment, but this fixture always elicits passion from these two teams.

Below, we have compiled the comments of the top managers and their expectations for this weekend's games.

Manchester United:
Speaking about the injury to one of his key players, Daley Blind, Manchester United manager, Louis Van Gaal revealed that the Dutch midfielder will have to undergo a scan to determine the extent of his injury.

"Blind is not ready, he has a brace on his knee. He needs 10 days' rest. Then we'll have another scan and say more about his injury. It's not as bad as the doctors thought after the match, but it shall be a long story, I believe, not six months or something."

On the prospect of facing Welbeck whom he sanctioned his move to Arsenal, Van Gaal insisted that the move was best for him as he wouldn't have gotten into his team .

"He could have [continued] playing for Manchester United, but we decided that he could go and he has benefited from it," the United boss told reporters.

"I think that any player who is playing regularly in a team will always develop. He is now benefiting from playing every week. That was a question mark with Manchester United.

"It's good to see he's doing what I thought he would [at Arsenal]. I cannot judge him so well because I haven't seen him play but now I shall see him I can judge him.

"But I don't think it is so important how I judge him because he is now playing for Arsenal. He's not a Manchester United player anymore so now we have to beat him also. But he's not alone, we have to beat Arsenal."

Arsenal :
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is delighted to have some of his key players back for the game against Manchester United.

Both Olivier Giroud and Mikel Arteta have been passed fit for this game.

"Everyone has come back in decent shape. We have to check in with some players this morning, so we have lots to check today," Wenger said.

"The surgery when well and there were no setbacks. He is very solid and has a positive mentality - that helps," he says.

Speaking on the prospect of Welbeck facing his former club, Wenger said: "I always respected him and he has a great future. But he's gained more respect over the last few months. Louis van Gaal didn't have him under his command for very long so it's difficult to judge players."

On their recent form: "We've had many draws. There's no block there. We feel strong at home and we have had a good record in the last 25 games. We lost [Mathieu ] Debuchy and [Laurent] Koscielny in defence but we are one of the top two teams at winning the ball back," the Frenchman added.

Chelsea:
Jose Mourinho started his press conference on Friday by rubbishing claims that Petr Cech was about leaving the club

"On which Mickey Mouse website? On which Mickey Mouse blog? I have zero proposals for Petr Cech. Petr has a contract for two more years, he's a fantastic professional. Not once has he knocked on my door to inform me about his desire to accept some proposal."

On the fitness of his players, the Portuguese revealed that Diego Costa has now fully recovered from his hamstring injury.

"Nathan Ake is out for a few weeks. John Mikel I don't know, he only got back this morning. Diego Costa is totally recovered, the same with Schurrle.

Fabregas hopefully will be fit, Ramires can play, his injury is improving, but he is not in very good condition."

On the threat of complacency: "If we lose matches it will not be because of complacency. It will be because football is football."

Speaking about what to expect in the game against West Brom: "I expect to win, but I expect a very very difficult match. They have a good team, they can give us a very difficult match. They know that they can get a result against us, because they got it in the past."

"I don't compare ourselves with others," he says. "We have a situation now, but our distance to our opponents tomorrow can increase or decrease. I compare us with the next opponent. In this moment I don't think about being champion, I just think about winning West Brom."

Manchester City:
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini bemoaned the fact that he will lose Yaya Toure to the 2015 African Cup of Nations tournament in Equatorial Guinea.

"It was very important for Yaya to qualify for the African Cup of Nations and I am very happy for him," he said.

"Of course we will miss Yaya in January but we will decide how we cover his absence in December."

On their game today: "Swansea are a very good technical side and we are expecting a difficult afternoon," he added.

Liverpool:
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers revealed that Daniel Sturridge is: "as down as I have seen anyone" he said.

Sturridge suffered a setback after picking up another injury that will keep him out of action for another six weeks having picked up a new thigh injury.

"Daniel Sturridge has just been extremely unfortunate," said Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers.

"He's a player who doesn't want to be out for this length of time. He wants to play football.

"Now is the time for him to go away and see what more we can do to get him on the pitch consistently because he is a world-class talent.

"He wants that more than anyone. I spoke to him today at length and he's as down as I've ever seen him.

"He'll go away in the New Year and hopefully find the answers to help him perform at Liverpool."

All today's fixtures

Chelsea vs West Brom 15:00
Everton vs West Ham 15:00
Leicester City vs Sunderland 15:00
Manchester City vs Swansea 15:00
Newcastle vs QPR 15:00
Stoke City vs Burnley 15:00
Arsenal vs Manchester United 17.30

* Kick-off all UK time. +1GMT for Nigerian viewers.

rsz_lmk-040663.jpg

Back