Sports Eric Abidal retires from football

Former France international Eric Abidal has announced his retirement from professional football.

Abidal said that he is retiring from football due to "personal reasons" noting that it was time to quit the game.

"It's a very important moment in my career. Today, I've taken the official decision to bring an end to my professional career. It's solely due to personal reasons," he told reporters.

"I've always played at a good level. I thank the president for his support. I'm proud to have worn the Olympiakos shirt during my time here and I'll always support them.

"I want to say thank you to the coaches I've had, to the medical staff who helped me, because without them I wouldn't be here now."

Abidal also confirmed that an offer from Barcelona to return to the club in a non-playing role remains on the table but insisted he is in no rush to make a decision about his future.

"I have an offer from Barcelona," he added. "But I will make a decision later. I first want to rest and spend time with my family."

Abidal.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back