Metro Explosion Rocks Abia State, Destroys Missionary School

Jamaz

A huge fire from an explosion at Saclux Paints Industry in Umuahia, the Abia capital, on Sunday destroyed a missionary school building in the neighbourhood.

Mr Emeka Okereke, the owner of the school, known as Love for Africa Mission, told Newsmen that a tanker, allegedly bearing ‘black oil’ exploded inside the company’s premises around 1 pm.

He said that the fire started with an explosion shortly after they ended the Sunday service at the school.

“We ended the Sunday service around 12:15 pm and I was trying to lock up the gate, when I heard a heavy explosion, accompanied with billows of heavy smoke and fire moving up the sky.

“The incident caused panic and stampede as everyone of us scampered into different areas, including the nearby bush, for safety,” he said.

He said that the fire later spread into the school building, which doubles as his family residence, when oil from the exploded tank spilled into the compound.

He said that as the fire raged, some youths in the area made attempts to move into his building in order to rescue some valuables.

Okereke said that he restrained them because he feared that they might be trapped inside the building.

“But when they insisted and attempted to pull down the entrance gate, I gave them the key with which they entered the compound,” he said.

Culled from Vanguard

Attachments

• IMG_20171203_193550.jpg
    IMG_20171203_193550.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 48
Back