Sports Failure to keep possession of the ball cost us the match- Van Gaal

Manchester United manager, Louis van Gaal has blamed their loss to Leicester City on his players inability to keep possession of the ball even after the Red Devils went up 3-1 in the 62nd minute of the game.

He said that it doesn't seem to him that it was his defense that had issues but the organisation of the defense line, which he has admitted he has to work on if they must make top four at the end of the season.

"It seemed like it was complete control (at 3-1) - then you think 'how is it possible you can give this game away,' but I think we gave the game away," Van Gaal told Sky Sports.

"You can play with small possession until the 90th minute, but you cannot do this kind of thing.

"In the world of football it's always possible. I have had this experience at Barcelona once and it seems unbelievable that it's happening.

"You can't imagine, but it is happening. I don't want to criticise personal errors because that happens in a game, but the team made errors because we didn't keep possession of the ball and that was our main mistake I think.

"I don't think that it is the weakness of the defence. It is the weakness of the defensive organisation of the team and we know we have to do better.

"When you lose the ball so easily, you cannot defend. In this game after 3-1 you can't make these errors. We need to continue and improve."

Van Gaal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back