Sports Federer and Murray through to the next round of the Paris Masters

Both Roger Federer and Andy Murray have qualified for the next round of the Paris Masters tournament.

Federer had to battle through his own game against France's Jeremy Chardy to be able to win 7-6 6-7 6-4.

The world number two played out two tie-breaks in the encounter, winning the first one and losing the second, but he was efficient in the third set as he powered past Chardy.

The Swiss is on course to claim the world number one spot from Novak Djokovic, if he continues winning his games and things don't go the Serb's way.

Meanwhile, Murray moved to within one win of qualifying for the season ending World Tour Finals in London.

The British player defeated Julien Benneteau with a 6-3 6-4 victory to qualify for the next round of the tournament.

"I put in a lot of hard work the last few weeks, played a lot of tough, long matches," said Murray.

"If I get in to London I deserve to be there, because it's your results across the whole year. My results in most of the tournaments this year, most of the big tournaments, have been good enough to be in the top eight.

Federer2 - Copy.JPG

Back