Sports Federer beat Gasquet to win first Davis Cup

Roger Federer has won his first Davis cup title for Switzerland after defeating Richard Gasquet to seal a 3-1 victory for his country over France.

The Swiss player withdrew from the ATP world Tour last weekend against world number one Novak Djokovic due to an injury, but recovered before Friday to take part in the competition.

He lost his opening game to Gael Monfils in straight sets, however he emerged stronger in his last game on Sunday to consolidate on the impressive form of his partner Stanislas Wawrinka.

The 33-year-old Federer was meant to face Jo-Wilfried Tsonga who withdrew due to an elbow injury and Gasquet took his spot for France.

The 17-Grand Slam winner had no difficulty dispatching Gasquet 6-4 6-2 6-2 to cement victory.

Federer, with the Davis Cup title has won all major individual titles, adding to his avalanche of trophies won in his glittering tennis career.

"This one is for the boys," said Federer.

"This is not for me, I have won enough. I am just happy we can give everyone in our country a historic moment."

"Stan has put in so much effort over the years. He played an unbelievable weekend and that is what gave me the opportunity today," said Federer.

ASG-024129 - Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back