Sports Hakeem Olajuwon chosen as NBA ambassador in Africa

Hakeem Olajuwon.jpg
Nigerian born former Basketball player Hakeem #Olajuwon has been chosen as the NBA ambassador for Africa.

The two-time #NBA Champion and Basketball Hall-of-Famer is expected to play a prominent role in the development of the sport on the continent.

Born in Lagos,Nigeria,Hakeem was selected with the number one pick in the 1984 NBA Draft,thereby becoming the first African to be selected first overall.

He is a 12-time NBA All-Star, winning two NBA Championships during his playing career (1994 and 1995); he was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in 1994.

Hakeem will represent the NBA through a range of basketball development events and NBA Cares activities across Africa to help grow the game.

"Basketball has given me so much in life," said Olajuwon. "In this new role I am looking forward to impacting young Africans and utilizing the power of sport to help change lives in what is an exciting new chapter in my career."

"We are elated that one of the greatest to ever play the game, a son of Africa, and a legend of Hakeem's stature will officially represent the NBA in Africa," said Amadou Gallo Fall. "He truly embodies the values of the game, and will be a great ambassador for the league and a perfect role model for Africa's youth."

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

I thought there were enough black people in the NBA to stop an owner using those words!
Yes there are,but then he pays them. However,the work Olajuwon is coming to Africa to do entails someone who would convince people to love Basketball,not someone who thinks his wealth can afford him the opportunity to look down on a race.

Back