Metro How I Joined Boko Haram - Captured Female Bomber Tells Her Story

A

abujagirl

A teenage girl who refused to go through with a boko haram suicide attack on Tuesday February, 9, 2015 has explained how she joined the terrorist organization.

hijabi.jpg

READ: Nigeria: Why I Refused To Detonate My Bomb in Dikwa Camp – Captured Female Suicide Bomber

Speaking with BBC, Hauwa (not her real name) said, "I had spiritual problems and so the Boko Haram told me they could help get rid of them''. The so-called "evil spirits" had caused her to soil herself and even put her hand into a fire.

Speaking of how she ended up strapped with a bomb, Hauwa shed details of her life with boko haram. According to her ,"We were living in grass-thatched houses. When my husband was around, I cooked three times a day... the men would steal meat and bring it for us to cook." After a while, Hauwa separated from her husband and then got remarried.

Her second husband then ran away and when she refused to take a third husband, the group suggested their plan.

"They said since I refused to re-marry, I should take the bomb," she says.

In return for carrying out their mission, Hauwa and the other girls were told they would go to paradise.

"I said 'No', since my mum is residing in Dikwa, I won't go and kill people there. I would rather go and stay with my family, even if I die there''.

She said she then planned to alert her family and others staying at Dikwa of the impending attack. But she was too late. By the time she reached Dikwa camp, the two suicide bombers had already struck.

Back