'How I've Lived With HIV for 15 Years' - 50-year-old Umoru

L

LequteMan

In an interview with the Punch, 50-year-old Ibrahim Umoru, a former coordinator of the Lagos State Chapter of the Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria, spoke on the situation of HIV in Nigeria and how he's been living with the virus for a decade and a half.

Narrating how he found out he had the virus, Umoru said "I found out that I was tiring easily and losing some weight. Hence, I went for several tests. Then a doctor friend of mine encouraged me to go for an HIV test; which I did and it came out positive. Then, getting tested was very expensive and the only place one could get care was a tertiary hospital where one was referred to. I went to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital.

"That was many years ago. Previously, I did not have as much weight as I have today. Now, I have gained weight," he said, adding that he's been living with the virus for about 15 years.

He also added that he's married with children. "My first son is over 27 years old. I had him before I got to know my status. My family is doing fine. None of my children is HIV positive. I even had a child during the post-infection years, he is a six-year-old now and he is negative. Prevention of mother-to-child transmission is the biggest effort I’ve seen in HIV response."

"What some people don’t understand is that the major hurdle to cross with HIV is emotional and psycho-social. That is why we tell people that stigma and discrimination kill faster than the virus. I think I am very fortunate to come from a very loving family. I am very well received by my immediate family. I didn’t get issues there. I do good exercise and I am a very active person. I eat well. But, most importantly, I adhere to taking my drugs religiously.

"I go around with my pill box daily. I take my morning and evening doses. I don’t miss taking my drugs. To me, this is my first identity card. I also ensure I rest well. The main thing of succeeding with living with HIV/AIDS is accepting one’s status.

He advised people who just tested positive to HIV: "When some people are told they are HIV positive, they would simply say, “It’s not my portion, I reject it.” Whose portion is it or who is going to accept it? So, if a person gets to that threshold, that person needs to accept that they are HIV positive, and do what is necessary. Also, that person should avoid re-infection or secondary infection. They should eat well, do regular exercises, follow the self-monitoring, let the doctor become their friend and visit the hospital regularly.

"For about 13 years now, I’ve not been on admission in the hospital. Last month, I went for my normal quarterly investigations and one doctor friend told me I was looking healthier than persons who didn’t have HIV. Thus, with HIV, one can live life wonderfully and graciously the way one wants it. HIV is not a death sentence, like some people assume. Maybe it was some years back, when there was no proper management and treatment. But now, with the availability of good treatment and better understanding, it’s no longer a death sentence, but a manageable health condition"

#Nigeria #HIV #AIDS

Ibrahim-Umoru-360x315.jpg

Back