Sports I am enjoying my championship title - Lewis Hamilton

Newly crowned Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton is still reveling in his triumph on Sunday.

Hamilton on Sunday powered to victory at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to win only his second Formula One championship title.

The British driver withstood the challenge of his Mercedes teammate, Nico Rosberg who faltered on the last day, capitalizing on his slip to roar unimpeded to the finish line.

"It's been a long year, and a long six years of hard work, to try and get this championship," Hamilton said on the BBC. "At the moment I'm just enjoying the ride.

"I was pushing in the last lap, I saw people standing up and I just thought, I had to keep it together. When I came round the last two corners, I just thought 'Wow, I've made it'.

Speaking about his rivalry Rosberg, he added: "It was very tough. We've known each other since we were 13, we have that history, but this has been the most intense battle I've had.

"Especially because we were working together, working with our groups of engineers every day, and every step you take they follow, it's difficult to get an advantage. There is a lot of psychological warfare.

"I knew every race I had to be 100%, because I knew Nico wanted it just as much as me.

Hamilton.jpg

Back