Sports I now enjoy playing football - Osaze Odemwingie

osaze 1.jpg
Nigeria international Osaze Odemwingie has stated that he now enjoys playing football since his January move to Stoke City.

Odemwingie was bought on deadline transfer day from Cardiff,in a swap deal that saw Kenwyne Jones go the opposite direction.

The Nigerian has struggled to find his form on the pitch,especially after the failed move from West Brom to Queens Park Rangers last year,which weighed him down psychologically.

Even an eventual switch to Cardiff last summer couldn't solve the problem as he failed to adapt,and he had to leave the Welsh club barely six months after he signed.

“That’s (playing games) been key,” he told Stoke Sentinel. “When a player lacks confidence it’s a huge difference. When I came, they gave me the chance to play 90 minutes.

“When you have the backing, the players believe in you, it makes a difference. You’re not playing on the pitch thinking they might substitute me now. I feel relaxed.

“Things are going well for me. You’re still nervous sometimes because it’s a new club and I want to do a lot because they gave me that opportunity in January. But with time and goals, I will feel more at home and just play my football.

“You’re not playing on the pitch thinking they might substitute me now. I feel relaxed. You’re still nervous sometimes because it’s a new club and I want to do a lot because they gave me that opportunity in January. I’m not playing as a centre-forward, but sometimes I tried to run towards the middle to get some scoring opportunities.

“For me I had maybe not the best six months and now I’ll be satisfied to be part of a group that’s doing well. Every goal for me is a bonus and most importantly I got the move and things are going well for me. All the rest is a big bonus. I will be happy, but if we can get a top-10 finish that will be a successful season.

“I just fitted well into the team. I know what the manager wants from me and I’ve been doing it game after game. The quality is there. They find Peter Crouch, he drops it and then I can run behind and then it gives me extra scoring opportunities. I’ve scored a couple now so I just fit in to what the plan is, how to play football.”

Odemwingie has scored three goals since joining Stoke and is set to be recalled to the national team,after mending fences with Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi.

Back