Sports "If a team fails, sacking the coach won't solve the problem" - Keshi

Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has said that he still wants to continue managing the national team.
Keshi's position remains in doubt after he failed to qualify Nigeria for the 2015 African Nations Cup tournament in Equatorial Guinea.

A 2-2 draw by the Super Eagles on Wednesday ensured that Nigeria will not be able to successfully defend their Nations Cup title.

And the NFF are yet to comment on Keshi's position in the team, refusing to issue a statement yet backing him.

However, Keshi has said that sacking him will not solve the problems of the Super Eagles as it goes beyond that.

"If a team fails, sacking the coach won't solve the problem. The authority should look beyond the coach to find solutions to the problem," Keshi said

Although he did take responsibility for the failure of the team not to qualify for the Nations Cup tournament.

"I can't deny it is a shame that we failed to qualify,on my part I failed the Nation but my players took South Africa for granted,a match they need to win."

Keshi's agent Emma Addo, added: "No explanation will be acceptable now by Nigerians but Super Eagles problems goes beyond coaching,if some issues are not resolved no can succeed for long with the team," he was quoted to have said by SL10.

"We shouldn't forget where Keshi picked this team from in 2012, almost same place like they are now but nobody cared about how they got there, that is why it happened again."

Keshi vs Bosnia.gif

Back