Sports Iheanacho's Goal Return City To EPL Summit

Manchester City are temporarily back at the summit of the English Premier League table, pending the outcome of Chelsea versus Leicester City game on Monday night, following Kelechi Iheanacho's late minute strike.

Iheanacho.jpg

Iheanacho, who made his international debut for the Super Eagles of Nigeria in last month's world cup qualifiers against Swaziland benefited from some of City's top eleven players, who are yet to fully recover from injuries to save Pellegrini's blushes with an all important three points.

Ivory Coast's Wilfired Bony had given City the lead earlier in the game but, Batefimbi Gomis bought a lifeline for the Liberty Stadium outfit in the 90th minute.

The game was going to end 1-1 before Nigeria's Iheanacho, who was the most valuable player at the FIFA U17 world cup in the UAE lifted City, as they hope some their players recover in time for their coming games.

Meanwhile, Manuel Pellegrini sighed for relief after the referee had blasted the whistle at the end of the game, saying all that matter was the three points.

He added that Swansea was awesome, but hopes his players return in good time for the rest of the season.

"I think the three points were very important, more than the way we played. I knew it would be difficult because we had three or four players who couldn't recover from the last game.

"Swansea played very well and it's not the way we want to win. Now we have a week to recover - we have played too many games with 13 or 14 players."

Caretaker boss Alan Curtis: "We certainly deserved to get something out of the game, and when we equalised I thought we were would hang in there. We probably did create more chances than City, that's the difference between the teams at the top of the league and at the bottom.

"We have been struggling with our form, but that's the standard we have to set between now and the end of the season." BBC

Back