Sports "It's a massive honour playing for my country"- Umotong and Courtney Dike

The duo of Iniabasi Umotong and Courtney Dike have described their invitation to the Super Eagles team as an opportunity to serve among the best in the country.

Dike said that its been a honour to be selected by Nigeria for next month’s FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada.

Bright Dike's younger sister had only represented Nigeria at the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup in Canada last year but both players say playing at the senior competition is the biggest thing in any player’s career.

Courtney said: "It's a massive honour playing for my country and it’s like something you have worked for your whole life; this opportunity is amazing. To be honest, it's a great feeling right now."

"I am hoping to bring the experience from the U-20 World Cup to the senior team and hopefully, we will go further than the last team did in Germany four years ago, because we can do it. I am sure we can. Any player knows that the World Cup is the pinnacle of your career, so I definitely cherish this. I will do my best and hopefully, we will get a good result for Nigeria."

On her part, Umotong said: "I am so happy I can't stop smiling because it's so amazing. I am really excited about playing against the best players in the world; it motivates me to be the best that I can be and I am really looking forward to it.

"I am very ready for the task at the World Cup and will relish every opportunity to do my best for my country. I’m bringing my hustle, passion and enthusiasm to the team and hope for the best because this is a golden chance for us. NFF
Courtney Dike1.jpg

Back