Politics Jonathan is Afraid of Handing Over to Buhari -Obasanjo

A

abujagirl

Nigeria's former President, Olusegun Obasanjo has accused President Goodluck Jonathan of postponing the country's election over fear of defeat; PREMIUM TIMES reports.

Obasanjo made the comment during an interview with journalists at his Presidential Hilltop residence in Abeokuta.

The former President said, ''The observable and what would appear to be happening is that the president has a grand plan, a grand plan to ensure that by hook or by crook, he wins the election or if it all fails, they scuttle it and create chaos, confusion and unpleasantness in the whole country''

''It is the duty and function and responsibility of the security officers to provide security. The President is the Chief Security of the country and he is the Commander-in-Chief and if security is required anywhere anytime, it is his duty to provide it, failure to provide it, is dereliction of duty, pure and simple. Either the President, following his own grand plan, or his aides and associates, are working a script. They are playing a script which must not got his endorsement if not initiated from him.

''It looks to me that the President is trying to play Gbagbo. Gbagbo was the former President of Cote d’Ivoire and Gbagbo made sure he postponed the election in his country until he was sure he would win and then allowed the election to take place. He got an inconclusive election in the first ballot and I believe this is the sort of thing Nigeria may fall into if I am right in what I observed as the grand plan and then in the run-off, Gbagbo lost with 8 per cent behind Ouattara and then refused to hand over.

''All reasonable persuasion and pleading was rebuffed by him and he unleashed horror in that country until nemesis caught up with him. I believe that we may be seeing the repeat of Gbabgo or what I called Gbagbo saga here in Nigeria, I hope not''.

''I believe the President’s concern of fear is not life out of office per se, because he and I have had occasions to talk about this, both seriously and jovially. ‎I believe the President would want an opportunity to disengage peacefully and have a nice, descent and a glorious exit”.

''I believe the President’s fear is particularly motivated by who he sees as his likely successor, that is General Buhari. I believe people would have been telling him that Buhari is a hard man, he would fight corruption and you may end up in jail if not in grave. I believe people must have told him all sort of things and he is not the only one, there are other people who may be afraid of Buhari, but why?''.

''I don’t think the President is afraid of being out, there’s life after Aso Villa. It may depend of course, to a large extent how his exit takes place. Because out there in the International World, there’s so much need for the wisdom and experience of people who have done it before, they also want people who are creditable and credible''.

''Again and I appeal to President Jonathan again not to listen to those who are creating phobia – phobia of Buhari, phobia of enquiry and all that. President Jonathan has done well to the best of his ability and he has made history as the first elected Nigerian from a minority tribe and nobody can take that away from him. He can even make a second history, if it turns out that way, if he contests a fair, free and transparent election and if he loses to have a dignified descent and a dignified exit. He will be in the mountain top and he would be acclaimed as a true patriot and a true democrat, what stops him from doing this?''.

#Obasanjo #Buhari

Obj n Buhari.png

Back