Sports Judge okays sale of Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion

Sterling.jpg
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has failed in his quest to stop the sale of his team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer in a deal worth about $2 billion.

During a hearing on whether the NBA franchise should be sold,a superior Judge took sides with Sterling's estranged wife, Shelly Sterling, who negotiated the record sale,before the deal was finally sealed .

The NBA banned the 80-year-old billionaire after he was caught on tape making offensive remarks about blacks who are even under his payroll.

He was subsequently banned for life and fined him $2.5 million for the racial slur.

The judge said that Shelly Sterling had negotiated a good deal and the removal of her husband as a co-trustee was in good faith and not part of a secret plan to seize the team.

''I can't believe it's over,'' a happy Shelly said. ''This is the best thing.''

However,Donald's lawyers plan to seek permission from an appellate court to file an appeal.

''There's no evidence, I'll repeat that as loudly as you allow,'' attorney Maxwell Blecher said during closing argument, his voice rising. ''There's no evidence that Mr. Sterling was incapable of carrying out his duties as a co-trustee.''

The judge was adamant that a team owned by Donald Sterling would not draw a price anywhere near the ''stunning'' $2 billion pledged by Ballmer. Sterling, a lawyer who made a fortune as a landlord, bought the team in 1981 for $12 million.

''Ballmer paid an amazing price that can't be explained by the market,'' he said.

Bruce Givner, a Los Angeles tax attorney who handles celebrity cases, said he thinks Sterling's lawsuits will fail and an appeals court won't care about the probate case.

''I think the sale is going to go through,'' Givner said. ''I suspect the NBA is ready to move very quickly. They want to get rid of Sterling like a canker sore. Nobody wants him around except the people that are charging legal fees to continue this charade.''

Source: Nba.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back