Sports Keshi should take the blame for Nigeria's failure to qualify for the Nations Cup - Lawal

Former Super Eagles forward, Garba Lawal has also joined other Nigerians to express his disappointment at the Stephen Keshi-led Eagles' failure to qualify for the 2015 edition of the African Cup of Nations.

Lawal, who retired from football in 2012 said that Keshi's team did not look like the one who could achieved the desired result Nigerians expected of them.

"Of course, the coach, not players should be held responsible for the failure of the team to qualify the country. The coach picked the players, if he didn't invite them they won't play,” Lawal told Goal.

“The players he paraded could not bring result for us, when we have a pool of talents who could have done better.

"In football, you cannot appreciate any player when a team fails to get results. It is a team failure. For the game against South Africa, all the players did not do well because he had no tactical game plans.

"I have no bias or grudge against Keshi as many purport, but I can’t keep quiet from saying the truth about what affects our game.

“If we must move forward as a country, we must tell ourselves the obvious. Keshi is a great coach, but we must come out clean.”

He also called on the Nigeria Football Federation to appoint a coach that will transform the national team if Keshi fails to continue.

"What the future holds for the Super Eagles is very unclear. We don't know who is likely to be the new coach. You never can tell if Keshi will be removed or retained. Whether foreign or local coach, I don't have any choice," he said.

"The important thing is for the coach to have the technical know how and do the right thing. He should invite players that can bring results for the country without sentiments and personal interest," Lawal added.

Garba Lawal.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back