Sports Lack of organisation made Nigeria and other African countries to fail in Brazil - Arsene Wenger

rsz_lmk-040663.jpg
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has blamed bad football administration as one of the reasons for the Super Eagles of Nigeria not going far at the 2014 FIFA World Cup tournament.

The Super Eagles crashed out in the second round,losing 2-0 to France with many expecting that Nigeria would have at least made the quarterfinals of the World Cup.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror,Wenger said that all the African teams had the quality to have made a good impact but their lack of organisation cost them.

However,he picked out Algeria as the African team that impressed him the most at the World Cup.

“I don’t think it’s purely down to quality. I think it comes down to organisational problems before the World Cup and during the World Cup,” Wenger said on what affected African teams at the World Cup.

“I think what hurts football fans both in Cameroon and Nigeria – two big footballing nations –was not that their countries did not reach the quarter-finals, it was the fact that both teams had no solidarity and they had problems that were exposed all over the world before the competition and that’s the main reason.

“Football is difficult enough when you are united but if you are not united at that stage then you have no chance.”

“I would still like to give some credit to Algeria. They played so well and at some points they even made Germany look average, and they were the only country who could do that. I would have liked to have seen more from the African countries.”

Back