Sports Lewis Hamilton wins Formula One title

Lewis Hamilton has won the 2014 Formula One title after coasting to victory at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Sunday.

His Mercedes teammate, Nico Rosberg had a horrific time at the race, finishing in 14th position which couldn't have helped him to usurp Hamilton for the title.

Hamilton produced a masterclass performance, shrugging off a challenge from Felipe Massa who finished second in the race.

This is Hamilton's second triumph winning the Formula One title, taking over from Sebastian Vettel as the current champion.

"I've been lost for words but I want to thank the fans," said Hamilton. "It's made such a difference. And to my family: I love you guys. And to my team thank you. It feels even more than the first time.

"It was a good start, probably the best start I'd ever had. Going into the race I had a couple of different options. If it was ahead I knew I had to race. Qualifying wasn't perfect but we got it right for the race.

"Nico put on an incredible fight throughout the year. We met in 1997 and always thought we would be competing together. He was graceful enough to come up to congratulate me. He just came into the room, very professional and he said: 'you drove really well.' And the same for him."

Hamilton.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back