Sports Manu Garba confident of victory over Brazil next month

Flying Eagles head coach, Manu Garba has admitted that Brazil is one of the best teams in the world cup but insists that he's sure his side will beat Brazil in their U-20 World Cup clash in New Zealand.
Manu.jpg

The African champions' best against the South Americans at this level was 10 years ago when they drew goalless on their way to clinching silver at the U-20 World Cup final in Holland.

Nigeria will face the Samba stars on June 1 in New Plymouth to kick start their 2015 campaign.

“I respect all the teams who have qualified for this championship and that includes Brazil, who have been good at this level, but believe you me, Brazil is Brazil and Nigeria is Nigeria,” he told Africanfootball.com.

“Brazil have won the World Cup several times, but Nigeria have got silver twice and a bronze.

“At U-17 level, we are rated number one in the world. And half of the team to New Zealand are from the last U-17 team. We are a united team who have conquered the world at U-17 level and we have now been joined by other players who are more technically balanced than some of them from the U-17s. So, I believe we are ready to take on any team.

“But I also know that the first match in any tournament is the most important and so we will do all we can to pick up the maximum three points against Brazil, which will go a long way to motivate the team in subsequent matches.

“I could recall Mexico came to last U-17 World Cup as defending champions and they had not lost a match for two years. But against a Nigerian side, who did not play a test game for a month, we defeated them 6-1.

“This is not to say we will be overconfident. We are confident in ourselves to beat Brazil in our opening game.”

Back