Sports Money-Man Floyd Mayweather confirms he no longer enjoys boxing; set to quit in September

Floyd Mayweather has revealed that his fight with Manny Pacquiao will be his career's second to the last fight, claiming that he no longer enjoys the sport.

The American boxer, who has been unbeaten for a long time now has a scheduled bout on the 2nd of May with Pacquiao and its the fifth of a six-fight contract with broadcaster Showtime.

And Mayweather, 38, says the "fun" has gone out of boxing, which he now regards as "a job", adding that his career last fight will be in September, but has not got an opponent yet.

He added: "I don't enjoy it like I once did. My last fight is in September."

Mayweather took part in an open training session before telling reporters the Pacquiao bout at the MGM Hotel in Las Vegas would see two fighters "meeting at the pinnacle of our careers".

The fight is expected to be the richest in boxing history.

He added: "He's a future hall-of-famer. I am a future hall-of-famer."

WBA and WBC champion Mayweather is unbeaten in 47 professional fights, while his 36-year-old opponent has lost five and drawn two of his 57 fights.

Mayweather relinquished his WBC light-middleweight title to Oscar De La Hoya in May 2007, but came out of his brief retirement in July to announce his fight with Britain's Ricky Hatton.

Britain's Amir Khan has said he hopes to fight Mayweather - although he has also pledged to meet compatriot and IBF champion Kell Brook in the next 12 months and faces former light-welterweight world champion Chris Algieri on 30 May.

Former two-weight world champion Ricky Hatton - beaten by both Mayweather and Pacquiao in his career - says Khan's style would trouble Mayweather, if the Bolton boxer did become the American's final fight.

He said: "Amir is boxing with a lot more discipline lately, he's in and out and he's not getting involved. I think that type of style will cause Floyd massive problems.

"But, when you're the best, pound-for-pound, like Floyd Mayweather - and Amir's as big a name as is out there, he's beaten pretty much everyone - he might be forced to fight Amir Khan." BBC

Attachments

• floyd-mayweather-30jpg-24351590d63b5826_large.jpg
    floyd-mayweather-30jpg-24351590d63b5826_large.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 11
Back