Politics My Watch: Court to Punish Obasanjo for Book Publish

Vunderkind

Social Member
NIGERIA - A High Court in Abuja has held that former President Olusegun Obasanjo was in contempt for flouting a court order restraining him from publishing his three-part memoir titled 'My Watch.'

The Judge, Justice Valentine Ashi, has given the ex-president 21 days from the day of the service of the court's order, to show why he should not be punished for contempt. An ex-parte interim order issued by the court on Dec. 5 had ordered that he not release the book in the face of a pending libel suit made before the publication.

Obasanjo, however, despite the interim orders, reportedly made a public presentation of the book last Tuesday in Lagos, saying the book had been published before the court was 'misled' into making the orders.

Justice Ashi said: “The fact that the book was published in November is irrelevant. As long as the substantive suit is not yet determined, no party is entitled to publish or comment on material facts that are yet to be decided on by the court. I hold that the defendant is not only in contempt of the court, but has to show cause why he should not be punished for contempt and ordered to undo what he has wrongly done.”

The court has ordered the former president to show to the court, within 21 days via affidavit, why he had the right to publish the book.

Source: #TheNewsNigeria
my watch.JPG

Back