Sports Nigerian Football: Top Five Things That Happened In The Last Seven Days

Nigerian football is laden with so many tales that in a week, there would be a truckload of them, it is just left for you to take your pick of the talking points.

As usual, it is always a mixture of everything for Nigerian football: some times it is good, but most times it appears to be controversies.

And it was no different this outgoing week, as there are limited good reports to bring from Nigerian football.

The Nigeria Football Federation(NFF) is one body most talked about when it comes to anything about the game in the country.

Being the regulatory body, the buck passes through them, and it is not surprising that they get talked about when things go awry.

Sometimes, they are the ones making a rod for their own back, and it is not surprising that they are in the news this week.

So we would be outlining the biggest football stories to have emanated from the Nigerian circles in the last seven days

*Stephen Keshi and the NFF:
This has to be the biggest football news in Nigeria this week. There has been a raging controversy over the contract situation of Keshi.

While the NFF claimed that a contract has been drafted for Keshi to sign, the 52-year old blew the lid, stating that the federation wanted to "enslave" him by inserting clauses in the contract that would have ended up hounding him.

Keshi further accused the NFF president, Amaju Pinnick of being economical with the truth, saying that they are still owing him two months salary.

“From the clauses I have seen so far, I don’t know what words to use but the contract can be described as a slave contract”, Keshi said.

"I heard also Amaju said he has paid us everything, that he is not owing us. It is a lie, big-time lie. He is owing us two months plus our winning bonus for the game against Sudan,” said the coach.

“What is he talking about? Because I am keeping quiet, I don't want to talk? Now if they want me to talk, I will start talking and let Nigerians know what is happening.

Meanwhile, Keshi was last week interviewed by Burkina Faso before he missed out on the job to Gernhot Rohr.

The NFF said that they were waiting for the outcome of Keshi's meeting with Burkina Faso before they will make a final decision.

Somehow, there is no consistency with the handling of this lingering contract impasse and it appears to be an ill-wind that blows no one any good.

*Under 23 allegedly rejecting their bonus:
There were reports this week that the national Olympic team rejected their $1000 bonus the NFF gave them, on the premise that the money was too small.

Coach Samson Siasia's team defeated Gabon with a resounding 4-1 victory in Libreville, arriving only last Sunday.

The reports came out that the team upon arrival refused the money NFF set outside for them.

However, media officer of the team Timi Ebikagboro denied the reports, adding that they don't even know how much they are entitled to for beating Gabon.

Like they say, there is no smoke without fire.

*Golden Eaglets:
This week, Nigeria's Golden Eaglets could not qualify for the final of the African under-17 championship taking place in Niger Republic.

Coach Emmanuel Amuneke's team were beaten in the semifinal by South Africa, halting their fine run in the tournament.

But the team will take delight in the fact that they qualified for the under 17 FIFA World Cup tournament in Chile.

* Flying Eagles team list(No Kelechi Iheanacho):
Coach of Nigeria's under 20 team, Manu Garba on Thursday named his list of 21 players for the African Youth Championship in Senegal.

There was no place in the team for Kelechi Iheanacho and Chidiebere Nwakaili. Both players were not included, largely because Manchester City didn't want them to.

City said that Iheanacho was injured, however, the player has recovered and is back training. While Nwakali is looking to secure a loan move out of City.

Garba had earlier on insisted that he has adequate replacements in his team, adding that he will not miss any player.

The bulk of the players who won the World Cup Championship in the United Arab Emirates two years ago are still there, so it should still be a good blend.

* No friendly game with Ghana:
FIFA on Saturday called off the proposed friendly match between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and their West African rivals, the Black Stars of Ghana.

Both teams were scheduled to play a friendly game in London next month, but FIFA overruled the decision because the game would have breached their regulations if it had gone ahead.

Under FIFA guidelines for friendly games, 'national teams can't play two of such matches within a three-day period,' across two continents.

Nigeria will play Bolivia on March 26th in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, and would have travelled to the United Kingdom for the game against Ghana, which was initially lined up for March 29th.

Attachments

• DSC_01150088.JPG
    DSC_01150088.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 32
Back