Sports Obasi tips Barcelona and Bayern as champions league favourites

Obasi.jpg
Super Eagles and Schalke 04 player Chinedu Obasi has tipped Bayern Munich and Barcelona as favourites to win this year's Champions league trophy ahead of La Liga giants Real Madrid.

Real defeated Schalke 6-1 in Germany, while winning 3-1 at home to qualify for the quarterfinals of the competition on a 9-2 aggregate.

"With the likes of Bayern Munich and Barcelona still in the tournament, I think it's going to be tough for Madrid to win it, but who knows? All teams do have bad days," Obasi said.

The Champions League quarterfinal draws has been scheduled to be staged on Friday.

And despite going down scandalously to Real, the Nigeria star has described as “amazing” his experience in the competition.

"We knew it was going to be tough, especially after the 6-1 loss in the first leg. We did our best. It was amazing to play at the Santiago Bernabéu,” he told UEFA.com.

“The pitch was great and the atmosphere was special. I really appreciated being able to play in such an atmosphere and with other players like Cristiano Ronaldo.

"Our coach wanted us to play according to his tactics and to give a good account of ourselves. Considering the injuries we have and the young players coming in, I think we did a good job."

The Nigeria star who hopes to gate-crash into the Eagles World Cup party, said his best memory in the champions league was his comeback game in Romania as Steaua Bucharest.

“My best memory from the tournament was my comeback game in Romania against FC Steaua Bucuresti last November. That was my first match after being out for a long time with a serious injury. I really appreciated the fact that I still have the opportunity to play at the highest level of football,''he added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back