Quit ICC - Museveni Tells African Countries

A

abujagirl

Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni on Friday, called on African nations to drop out of the treaty establishing the International Criminal Court, amid accusations that it unfairly targets Africans.

"I will bring a motion to the African Union’s next session. I want all of us to get out of that court of the West.
"Let them (Westerners) stay with their court," he said in Swahili.

Prosecutors dropped charges of crimes against humanity against Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta last week, but the trial of his Deputy, William Ruto on similar charges is under way at the Hague-based court.

Museveni was addressing a ceremony to mark Kenya's 51 years of independence from Britain in 1963.

The Ugandan leader criticized the ICC for continuing with Ruto's case despite an African Union (AU) resolution that no sitting African head of state or deputy should be tried at the court.

"With connivance, they are putting Ruto, someone who has been elected by Kenyans, in front of the court there in Europe," he said.

Many Africans accuse the ICC of unfairly targeting their continent, a report added.

Museveni said he had backed the court before it turned into a tool for "oppressing Africans".

"I supported the court at first because I like discipline. I don’t want people to err without accountability," he said.

"But they have turned it into a vessel for oppressing Africa and Africans again, so i am done with that court. I won’t work with them again."

Uganda had in the past sought the assistance of the ICC in bringing rebel warlord Joseph Kony to account for war crimes in northern Uganda over two decades.

#Uganda #Museveni #ICC

Museveni.jpg

Back