Sports Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: I can't remember Chelsea winning like this away from home - Mourinho

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is delighted with his side's performance in their Champions League game on Tuesday night.

The Blues thumped Schalke 5-0 away from home, in an emphatic victory that cemented their qualification for the knock-out stages of the competition.

Chelsea came out of the blocks all guns blazing, putting up a masterclass show against their former manager, Roberto Di Matteo.

Mourinho was full of praise for his players, adding that he couldn't recall seeing Chelsea play so well away from home.

“The players are very serious,” Mourinho said. “Everything they do with big focus and ambition, but at the same time with this component, which is something new in Chelsea football – this happiness, this flair, this beauty.

"The way they are doing things, we are very happy. We are having good results and playing really, really well at this moment.

“I don't remember Chelsea playing in this way away from home. Obviously, there have been great victories away from home with me, with Roberto, even with other managers. But this was very impressive. Very complete.

"I know, because you are going to say Schalke were not good, they made mistakes, but the reality is any team that played against us would feel it was very difficult. The players played a fantastic match.

“This was the whole 90 minutes. Sometimes when a team is winning 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, you make a mistake and allow the others to score. But no, we didn't. The team were so solid. If anything, in the first half, we could have scored more goals.

"They must be very sad with this result, but my experience tells me that when we lose against a team who is much better than us, you have to accept it. They have to accept we were too strong for them.”

LMK-029168.jpg

Back