Politics Senator Abe Wants National Award For Lawmakers Who Scaled Assembly Gate

A

abujagirl

Senator Magnus Abe, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Petroleum (Downstream), on Sunday said that lawmakers who scaled the National Assembly gate deserve National awards and commendations.

THIS DAY reported that Abe made the statement in Port Harcourt at the grand finale of the Yoruba Week.

"People were talking about lawmakers who scaled the fence. I want to say that those lawmakers are the true defenders of the independent of the legislature. They should be given national awards for what they did".

"If they have to scale the fence, they will scale it and they did so (that) the Nigerian people could meet to discuss the problems of Nigeria. How can anybody say they have not acted honourably?. In the words of Barry Goldwater, the American politician, and I quote, ‘moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue and extremism in the defence of liberty is no vice’.

"So, if they acted extremely to defend the liberty of the Nigerian people, they should be congratulated and honoured for what they did. If they had gone back, then they would have created a history that any power can stop the national legislature from meeting. They acted in the defence of the Nigerian people. So, I want to thank them and congratulate them. The only thing that I was telling my son is that I felt very sad that I didn’t come there in time to join them to climb the fence. I would have climbed the gate with them.

"There is no controversy. Spin doctors have appeared on the scene to try to colour what is a national embarrassment to this nation. You remember that similar thing like that was happening here in Rivers State; a reign of impunity and I almost lost my life.

"If you remember then, I wrote a letter then to the Senator David Mark, the President of the Senate to say that, today, it is Senator Abe, nobody is saying anything. Tomorrow, it may well be Senator Mark. And as you can see, all of us were tear gassed right inside the National Assembly complex", Abe added.

#Abe #ThisDay

magnus ane.jpg

Back