Politics Tinubu Finally Speaks at 8th Senate Assembly, Calls Saraki "Distinguished Senate President"

L

LequteMan

Nigeria - Senator Oluremi Tinubu, wife of APC national leader Bola Tinubu, for the first time spoke at the eighth senate on Thursday.

sarakisen4.jpg

According to TheCable, she addressed Bukola Saraki as “distinguished senate president” — a salutation which many weren't expecting her to use.

Tinubu’s ‎had remained quiet since the emergence of Saraki as senate president in June, and the defeat of Ahmed Lawan whom the APC hierarchy supported.

Making a contribution to the debate‎ on the legislative agenda of the upper chamber, Tinubu urged her colleagues to steer away from making mistakes the senate under the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) made.

“‎This is the first time Nigerians will vote against a ruling party to birth a new government. And looking at the agenda so far, I’m in the position to allow this new government to take root,” she said.

“I see us resisting things that did not work in the seventh senate‎. And since they didn’t work in the seventh senate why are we resisting them.

“Thank God they said they want to consider the national conference report, but it went through a lot of criticisms and scrutiny. We as the APC then t‎hought was a mere distraction. If we are going to do a new constitution we should be given room to do that.

“I think this senate has an agenda, and that’s to give the people what they want.

Let us go back to our constituencies‎, and look at the needs of the common man. Coming here if we have to make laws to that effect we should be given the room to do so.”

Back