World UN Finally Apologizes For Haiti Cholera Epidemic

A

abujagirl

The United Nations has apologized for the cholera epidemic in Haiti that killed at least 10,000 people after the 2010 earthquake.

Ban Ki-Moon.jpg

CNN reports that UN Secretary-General issued the carefully worded apology as part of an announcement of a new plan to eradicate the disease.

"On behalf of the United Nations, I want to say very clearly: We apologize to the Haitian people," Ban told the UN General Assembly. "We simply did not do enough with regard to the cholera outbreak and its spread in Haiti.

"This has cast a shadow upon the relationship between the United Nations and the people of Haiti. It is a blemish on the reputation of UN peacekeeping and the Organization worldwide."

"For the sake of the Haitian people, but also for the sake of the United Nations itself, we have a moral responsibility to act. And we have a collective responsibility to deliver," he said.

Ah, finally. UN failed to take responsibility when thousands of Haitans were dying from the outbreak. It was terrible. Their top officials, including Moon were not willing to talk to journalists on what their intervention was -- when the outbreak was claiming so many lives. Let me check if I can get the documentary on Al-jazeera...

Back