Sports US Open update: Wawrinka through, Radwanska out

rsz_asg-013087_1_-_copy.jpg
Swiss player Stan Wawrinka survived a scare,beating Tomasz Bellucci to progress to the round 32 of the US Open Grand Slam tournament.

Wawrinka needed a tie-break in the last set to be able to close out the match 6-3 6-4 3-6 7-6 (7-1),after Bellucci was threatening to cause an upset.

"I tried to focus more on my game and not on what he was doing,'' Wawrinka said. "I was playing a little bit smarter at the end of the match."
In another game,Tomas Berdych had no problems defeating Lleyton Hewitt 6-3 6-4 6-3.

In the Women's draw,Agnieszka Radwanska became the first high-profile casualty, losing 6-3 6-4 to China's 39 Peng Shuai.

Meanwhile Maria Sharapova survived came from a set down to beat world number 95 Alexandra Dulgheru 4-6 6-3 6-2.

And Venus Williams was able to make the third round for the first time in four years after defeating Switzerland's Timea Bacsinszky 6-1 6-4 to go through.

Caroline Wozniacki defeated Aliaksandra Sasnovich 6-3 6-4 to equally qualify for the next round of the tournament.

Back