Sports Van Gaal Reacts To Leicester Draw; Jamie Vardy's EPL Goal Record

Manchester United boss, Louis van Gaal has expressed a mixed feeling following his side's 1-1 draw against Leicester City on Saturday night.

The Dutch man, who was delighted the Red Devils could salvage a point, was also disappointed that his side failed to convert all their chances, which has now made stand third best team on the EPL table as we speak, with city rivals, Manchester City at the top with 29 points, followed by Jamie Vardy's Leicester City, who are also 29 points but are short on goals.

The 2014 FIFA world cup bronze medalist with the Netherlands said: "I am not happy with a point because we were the better team. We dominated for 90 minutes but we have drawn. I have the feeling that we could have won this game. I've said to my players - this kind of match you have to win if you want to be champions at the end of the season."

"You can imagine that we have prepared [to stop] that because that is Leicester's quality. We knew in advance that they are fantastic at counter-attacking. It was unbelievable that it could happen, especially after a corner kick. We gave the goal away, but it is also the quality of Vardy. We had sensible organisation for the corner kick, but still we conceded the goal so that’s a disappointment."

"This is because of the taker, Daley Blind. When you deliver that well you can always be dangerous. It was the same against PSV. We changed the taker and that's the reason."

"Yes, that we know. In the third or fourth phase we have to create more, but it is difficult because you have seen where Leicester City stand on the pitch – it was in the 60 metre area. That is a lot of bodies in front of you, but we have created the chances to beat them. We could have scored in the second half when Schweinsteiger headed for the second time and if Memphis controls [the ball] better [for his chance] then it's a goal. We have to wait for the moment that we do that."

"Wayne was a little bit injured, you saw him limping. I also wanted to change a striker because they were not running in behind. I could have taken off [Anthony] Martial because he didn’t do that either, so that is why I changed Rooney, because he was a little bit injured. "

Van Gaal.jpg

Back