Sports We appointed Van Gaal because of his attacking style - Manchester United vice chairman

Van Gaal2.gif
Vice chairman of Manchester United Ed Woodward has revealed that Louis Van Gaal's ability to play attacking style of football was the reason why they hired him to coach the club.

The 62-year-old who led the Netherlands to win Bronze at the just concluded 2014 FIFA world cup in Brazil succeeds David Moyes who had a tough time replacing Sir Alex Ferguson at the club.

Van Gaal has already won titles in virtually all the leagues that he has coached in before his United appointment.

“He’s got incredible energy and very importantly he likes attacking football,” Woodward told the club’s official website.

“If you remember the Barcelona team [he managed] in the late ’90s, who played incredible, attacking football, and those games we had against them in ’98/99, that’s the kind of football Manchester United fans love. It’s part of our DNA,” explained Woodward.”

Woodward also hailed Van Gaal's knack of promoting young players from the ranks and giving them a chance to feature in the club’s first team.

“The second part of what he likes is giving youth a chance. He’s got a track record littered with giving young players a break in the first team, who have gone on to be stars. Clearly that’s Manchester United’s philosophy and we want him to continue with that,” United chief said.

“I’ve personally found him very warm. He’s a very clear communicator and very direct. I like that in people; I’m a very direct person myself. He’s a stickler for planning and that’s something we as a club do very well. We plan everything in a lot of detail and that’s going to be a good fit.”

“We’ve got someone who has confidence in himself about making difficult decisions and, when you boil down what makes a great manager, one of the key characteristics is making difficult decisions and we’ve clearly got a manager who can do that,” Woodward said.

Photo Credit: @ManUtd

Last edited by a moderator:
Back