Politics We Should've Impeached Obasanjo in 2002 - Na'Abba

L

LequteMan

Nigeria- Former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Ghali Na’Abba, says he regrets not impeaching ex president Olusegun Obasanjo in 2002.

In an interview with The Punch Na'abia says Nigeria won't be in her current woes had Obasanjo been impeached.

According to him, the legislative and executive arm of Nigeria's government clashed during his tenure because they had philosophical differences.

"I thought that the key to the sustenance of democracy was the legislature and that the legislature must be defended in anyway and that was why I ensured that nobody messed around with the legislature and in the process, we almost impeached the President.

"Our reasons were cogent and verifiable, there were several constitutional breaches. The budget was not being implemented as well as a lot of other things, which are in public domain.

"We backed down because some elders were asked to come and exhort us to accepting to water down the impeachment. Eventually, we were persuaded not to continue, not because we were not right or because we were not sure we were going to succeed, but because these elders told us many things about the unity and stability of this country. Eventually, we heeded and I must admit that I regret listening to them because it as a result of us listening to them that Nigeria is in this mess today," he concluded.

#Nigeria #Olusegun #Obasanjo #Na'abaa

Ghali-Na’Abba-360x236.jpg

Back