Business Why I Should be Next AfDB President - Akinwumi Adesina

L

LequteMan

Nigeria's Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Akinwumi Adesina, has outlined his vision for the African Development Bank as he jostles with seven other candidates to be the bank's next president, The Guardian reports.

If elected, he says he'll among other things, create strong partnership with other continents and ensure increased foreign direct investment in African countries, which are the solutions to the key risks impending Africa’s growth.

Speaking on his prospects of emerging victorious in the AfDB presidential race, Akinwumi said "what I bring to the table is the fact that I know Africa very well."

"I bring to them a tremendous amount of knowledge, global partnerships to help the bank to deepen its partnerships with the World Bank, the IFC and other multilateral institutions including recently the BRICS which is a very important facility to have.

"But more than that, I am a development economist and I believe that with my broad experience which covers financial management, economic policy as a member of the Economic Policy Management group in Nigeria, which is the highest decision making body on policy management in the country, I have partnered very actively in looking at the economic investment and financial policy for the sectors that go all the way from ICT to housing to infrastructure, to urban development, to health, to education, to agriculture and extractive industries.

"So my experience is actually very broad and with that, I believe that I would make a great president for the bank. I will build on what my friend Donald has done and other previous presidents like Babacar N’diaye, Omar Kabbaj and all the others that have done great things for the bank. So that’s what I bring. More than anything else is the fact that I want to serve Africa and I’ve got the passion to do that, he says.

"So for me honestly, small countries where I’ve lived and worked all my life need support and I believe the development of these countries is more important than that for a big country. I believe in building these small countries and expanding opportunities for them – that’s the way things have to be and under me, that is exactly what I would do," he added.

#Nigeria #AfDB #AkinwumiAdesina

akinwumi adeshina.jpg

Back